English for Business & Careers: Overview
The English for Business program is for individuals with high intermediate to advanced English proficiency who want to improve their English for use in a variety of business situations.
- Focus - Business concepts, practices, and settings
- Speaking - Business presentations, negotiations, telephoning, meetings, interviews, discussions of case studies, social interactions, pronunciation
- Reading/Vocabulary - Business-related and intercultural topics, vocabulary and idioms
- Writing - Business letters, memos, proposals, reports, announcements, résumés, word processing
- Grammar - Systematic approach with emphasis on business purposes
- Projects - Business plans, conferences, and publications
- Field Trips - Local companies, business organizations, governmental offices, professional events
- Homework - two to four hours per day
High Intermediate to Advanced Levels
Levels 145 & 155 - Levels focusing on comprehensive language skill refinement with immediate application in the business/professional environment. These courses include authentic materials from the business world and interaction with American professionals around Austin. Training simulations and actual professional activities and contact systematically expand participant English-language proficiency in diverse aspects of written and oral business/professional communications, including public speaking, negotiating, case study analysis, correspondence, report, and proposal writing.
English for Business and Careers is offered during 15-week and 16-week sessions only.
Actual course availability may vary.