Marketing and Communications Specialist
The Marketing and Communications Specialist is responsible for supporting and advancing the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) brand identity as a global international education organization, which represents public and private universities across the State of Texas, with a network of affiliates and partners and around the world. As a member of the Global Partnerships Unit, this role is supervised by the Senior Director of Global Education and Impact. The incumbent will also work closely with the President and CEO to execute a comprehensive strategy that articulates TIEC’s valuable service lines, evidences its impact on international education, and positioning it as a visible leader in its field. The Specialist will lead TIEC’s marketing efforts through a comprehensive strategy that starts with redesigning the TIEC website, actively engaging in social media and other communications mechanisms, and streamlining TIEC branding. The Specialist will support the team’s external engagements through promotion, post-engagement articles, and the visual needs for presentations. The Specialist will work with senior leadership to determine TIEC’s external engagements and will serve as an additional voice for the organization with external partners and events.
The position will develop, manage, and execute marketing and communication efforts that build and increase audience and industry awareness, help reach key markets and client leads, and contribute to the organization’s positive image and impact. This position requires demonstrated success in marketing, writing, editing, brand management, social and traditional media outreach, and storytelling.
This is an exciting time to be part of TIEC. Our service lines, programs and membership are all growing, we now need a visible brand and an updated marketing and communications strategy to support our ambitions. The incumbent will oversee our website redesign and will take ownership of our CRM. As TIEC is a multifaceted, multidisciplinary institution, the Marketing and Communications Specialist must be skilled in interpreting our many lines of activity and efforts for a wide-ranging audience. The role will assist with promotion of TIEC’s story in relatable and tangible ways.
TIEC is a 50-member university consortium, representing world-class programs from all six systems of public higher education as well as private universities in the state of Texas and abroad, collectively serving over 600,000 students. TIEC’s motto is “Texas based, globally engaged” and facilitates and fosters international education programs and partnerships by, with, and for its university members. This model of cooperation provides access to over 40,000 faculty, broad research, and a wide array of cutting-edge educational resources and methods. Since its founding in 1985, TIEC has provided educational assistance and consulting services for governments and institutions in over 40 countries, across five continents. TIEC is a recognized expert with extensive experience working with governments and institutions of education to improve course and degree program quality and responsiveness and to foster equity and inclusion. Simultaneously, TIEC is a membership association with an active roster of member events and services. Lastly, TIEC believes in mobilizing Texas ingenuity to do good in the world and serves as a trusted implementer of government grants for higher education capacity-building globally.
Job Responsibilities – all of the above, and:
- Brand identity and mission support through internal and external marketing and communication channels – presentations, marketing collateral, speeches, digital assets, direct mail, email marketing, social media, video and more
- Marketing strategy, including management of CRM
- Website design management and maintenance (through contracted services as needed)
- Annual report production
- Internal communications strategy and implementation
- Media strategy and public relations
- Thought leadership promotion
- Contractor management for freelancers and communications firms, when applicable
- Brand and style guide standards maintenance and implementation
- Messaging strategy coordination throughout organization
- Market research implementation – customer surveys, focus groups, etc.
- Writing and publishing
Required Qualifications and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to excel at each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Five+ years of communications and marketing with preference for experience in an international and/or educational environment plus an undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, international affairs or other relevant discipline
- In the absence of an undergraduate degree, a minimum of seven years’ directly relevant experience with increasing responsibilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced through writing samples; ability to articulate ideas clearly and concisely: write, edit, print, publish, represent the organization with external audiences, create and conduct presentations
- Demonstrated ability to work as a part of a team, along with the ability to conceptualize and strategize with staff, artists and artist representatives as well as the media on all aspects of marketing
- Strong organizational skills with particular attention to detail and capacity to multitask under pressure
- Sense of balance, humor, tact and the ability to negotiate and compromise to find solutions
- Knowledge of and interest in international education
Working Conditions & Physical Tasks
- Typical office environment; requires the ability to remain seated at a computer workstation for extended periods. Some job functions may be performed outdoors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Will be asked to work some evenings and weekends in support of our programs.
- Some local travel is required; must have a valid driver’s license and access to own vehicle and clean DMV record.
The annual salary for this position will be $60,000-$70,000, based on experience and salary history. This role qualifies for additional performance-based bonuses.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to TIECSearch@TIEC.org with the subject “Marketing and Communications Specialist.” Written recommendations are not required at the initial stage, but welcome. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. Please note that TIEC will only respond to those invited for an interview.